21 October 2009

Memorable Halloweens

When my little brother was eight he went trick-or-treating with my dad. Our neighborhood is quiet and we know our neighbors well. My dad would stay on the street and wait for my brother to walk up to the houses to get his candy. At one house there was a really neat looking statue on the porch. It was a fish monster with flippers in a wet suit and it would move back and forth. My brother retrieved his candy and walked off of the porch. The fish monster followed him down the steps and when my brother turned around he shrieked at the sight of this monster following him and booked it towards my dad who was standing in the street. The funny thing was they were video taping it so we have a copy of it. The guy’s costume was really good. He had on a full wetsuit and mask and he was standing on an extension cord so it looked like he was plugged in. I would feel bad except a couple of years ago my brother stood on the porch in a dark cloak and scared the kids who came to our house.

I am quite a bit older than my little sister and I liked to take her around trick-or-treating. There was one year that she got quite a bit of candy and we were going to go to one or two more houses before heading home. We were walking on the sidewalk and I noticed a bunch of teenagers coming towards us. I wasn’t sure how I felt to have them trick-or-treating. As we continued the sidewalk became uneven making my sister trip. Her bag fell open causing her to lose quite a bit of candy into the dark bushes. As I was helping her up the teenagers ran over to see if everything was okay. There wasn’t a street lamp near us and my little sister was nearly in tears when she realized she had lost so much of her candy. All five boys took large handfuls of candy from their bags and put them in my sister’s and then after making sure she was really okay went on their way. I am very grateful they were willing to do that.

One of the coolest costumes my mom created was for my older brother many years ago. He decided that he wanted to be Zaphod from “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.” My mom made a head to sit on his shoulder that had a had and sunglasses and another arm from a sleeve that she attached so the hand would be in his pocket. I think one person identified the costume and knew about Douglas Adams and the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment