16 November 2011

Book Bomb

I was trying to decide what to write this week when I thought about last week's book bomb. I like to consider myself a decent fan of the local Utah authors. The reason I got a Twitter account was because I wanted to follow them to learn about book signings and pretend to be cool because I read their Twitter conversations. There are times it is kind of sad to meet them in real life because I feel like I know them but they have no idea who I am. I just tell them that I am a fan and really enjoy what they do.

Last week, on Twitter, Larry Correia instigated a book bomb for Robison Wells who has had a run of extreme bad luck. The goal of a book bomb is to try and get a specified book as high as possible on the Amazon lists. It was really cool to follow the progress of VARIANT for the day. It did really well in both the top 100 and YA and was even #1 on the "Movers and Shakers" list. If all went well a lot of people were introduced to the book which will spawn a following and a dedicated readership.

There are times that I get caught up in how dark the world has gotten. I don't like reading the paper because it is the sad, disturbing, or malevolent stories that make the news. This book bomb reminds me of why these authors are my heroes. These authors are men and women who every time I meet them I admire them even more. They are good people who haven't been changed by their fame. These are the people who when they see a friend in need will do something about it. I didn't spend much on the book, which is actually going to be a birthday present from my husband, but it felt neat to be part of something that big. And hopefully not only will the money help, but there will be a larger effect because of the efforts everyone put in to promote the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment