24 February 2012

Something Wicked This Way Comes

by Ray Bradbury

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is another classic that I think people have heard about but haven't actually read. Ray Bradbury wrote it in 1962 takes place in the same town that his novel DANDELION WINE. Some consider it a sequel of sorts though they are different from one another. It is a story that I have read a couple of times now and I still find new insights about the characters and depth to the plot.

The story follows two 13-year-old boys, Will Halloway and Jim Nightshade. They hear of a carnival coming to town and decide to go see it. Two carnival workers in particular, Mr. Cooger and Mr. Dark, take an interest in the boys. Other members of the carnival spread throughout the town and the two boys see a change in the town's people. Not only is this a story about the two boys growing into adulthood, but also about Will's father. There are a lot of characters who have a lot of depth to show other human emotions and responses to life. The older I get the more I find myself thinking like the father.

There is a movie version, which I saw (I think I was in elementary) before I read the book (in Jr. High). There are some significant differences between the two, but as my mother pointed out the main difference is the emphasis put on the characters. One focuses more on the boys, the other one focuses more on the father. Both are a little freaky and may not be suitable for all ages though it isn't gory. If you read the book you'll realize how many other stories make reference to it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes there are a lot of references to it. I need to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete