19 October 2011

Marching Band

This weekend my husband and I went to watch my little sister's marching band competition. Though they didn't take first, they did a great job and I loved the show. It brought back a lot of memories. Both my husband and I participated in marching band in high school. We went to different schools and had different experiences. His school had some amazing shows; I watched them when I went to my older sister's competition. He made fun of our uniforms. On Saturday we sat shocked at his band's amateur performance, and admired the new uniforms of my band. What a good relationship we have.

At the competition we sat next to some parents of a first year band member. They asked us what it was about band that enticed the kids. They said they would wake their son for early morning practice and he wouldn't ever complain and it wasn't only their kid. They couldn't believe that something like marching band could be so exciting to a bunch of teenagers. I don't think there is a way to explain how marching band really is without experiencing it. It hurt like the dickens some days, but I am so glad I was able to be part of something so amazing. Though we both had some unpleasant experiences, we don't regret participating in band.

2 comments:

  1. I loved marching band, I played the baritone. It was a great experience to be part of such a big group. I remember the thrill when we were in a stadium at a competition and winning every award and seeing the crowd on their feet at the end. Brings back good memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does. Both I and my husband played baritone. I only did it for a year before I was in the drumline.

    ReplyDelete