20 April 2012

The Court Jester

with Danny Kaye

I wasn't sure which book to review so I decided to review another of my favorite movies. THE
COURT JESTER is a classic, even if you don't realize it. "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true " Sound familiar? There are lots of humorous parts to this movie that are appropriate for all ages. My grandparents had a VHS copy of this movie when I was growing up. Whenever we went to visit we would give the grandparents a hug and then run down to put in THE COURT JESTER. We would fast forward to our favorite parts and from what my mother told me we ended up wearing out their video. I am now happy to say that I own it on DVD.

THE COURT JESTER is kind of a Robin Hood story where there is a group of outlaws in the forest trying to overthrow the current monarchy. The king who is currently on the throne got there by murdering the entire royal family, only he missed an infant son. The rebel group protects the son as best they can in the forest. When they are discovered they decide the baby needs to go to a nearby monastery. The group's entertainer, and man of many faces, is chosen along with the female captain to move the boy. They run into a few problems and end up at the castle. The entertainer takes on the role of Giacomo, King of Jesters, and Jester of Kings. Hilarity ensues.

Don't balk at the idea that this movie was made back in 1955. The cast is amazing, not only does it have Danny Kay, but also Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, and Angela Lansbury. It is a musical and the songs are catchy. I have yet to meet someone who has seen it and doesn't like it. If you find that you like this movie I recommend a few of Danny Kaye's other movies including, THE INSPECTOR GENERAL, THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, and even though I don't like it as much because it is more serious but still as good HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON. At Christmas time I recommend A WHITE CHRISTMAS (most people know this one because it has Bing Crosby in it.) Danny Kaye is a talented actor that broaches all generations. "Get it, got it, good."

No comments:

Post a Comment