21 December 2012

George and Martha

by James Marshall

This week Moose’s aunt and uncle had us over to celebrate our birthdays and Christmas. The Christmas present they gave us was the complete collection of GEORGE AND MARTHA stories by James Marshall. I had read a few of the stories but I absolutely love having them all and reading them all. They are cute and just make me laugh. I can’t wait to read them all with Moose.

GEORGE AND MARTHA is about two hippopotamuses who are best friends. (Though they appear to be married at times, they are just good friends.) They have disagreements and disappointments, but they always manage to reconcile by the end of the story. Within each picture book there are three or four stories some only two pages long. The artwork is bold and adds so much more to the story. One of my favorite stories is the first one where George hides the pea soup in his loafers under the table. The idea behind him putting the soup in his shoes just makes me giggle. I also love the one where Martha gets her picture taken in a photobooth. Picture large nostrils and really small, beady eyes.

I didn’t realize how many James Marshall stories I knew until I started looking him up for this review. He is the illustrator for the hilarious Viola Swamp/Miss Nelson stories. He wrote and illustrated the GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS is a Caldecott Honor book, and he also illustrated THE STUPIDS. While the books are classified “for children” they are perfect for adults as well. GEORGE AND MARTHA are sure to make you laugh, and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment