11 January 2013

Feedback

by Robison Wells

FEEDBACK is the sequel and conclusion to VARIANT. I received it as a Christmas present this year and it was one of the six books I read during my Christmas break. I am so glad that I didn’t have to put it down because of mundane things, like work. I thought the conclusion was satisfactory, even if it wasn’t exactly what I wanted. Though that isn’t to say I wouldn’t mind another book revolving around these characters. I can’t wait to read the next thing Rob writes.

So Benson has escaped from the school, but he hasn’t escaped Maxfield. Instead he is forced into another society controlled by the officials from the school. Benson knows many of those at the town, but not as well as he thought. Maxfield creates androids using the people at the town as molds. Benson isn’t content with hiding out in the town, but wants to escape for good and take as many of his friends as he can. Only breaking back in might be harder than it was to get out in the first place.

I really need to go back and reread VARIANT because I am sure there is some foreshadowing I missed. As I mentioned earlier, the ending wasn’t what I expected. Part of my issue was I felt like it kind of came out of nowhere. I also wanted to have a little more information as to some of the antagonist’s past. I thought that Robison Wells did a good job on making me care for the characters. I really grew attached to the characters and felt invested in their future. I like the fact that his characters has realistic doubts and reactions. Benson is flawed, but it didn’t make him whiney or annoying, it just made him that much more real to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment