03 February 2010

Have I Done Any Good?

Two weeks ago in my weekly church meeting we sang a song entitled "Have I Done Any Good?" The song is lovely with a message about helping the people around us.

Chorus:
"Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love."

However when I sing that song I am not reminded to help others. I am in fact reminded about the joys of sleep.

My older sister started high school while I was still in elementary. Every morning my family would try and have family prayer before we all went our different directions. Since my sister left with my dad right after the prayer to go to school, she was always the first child up and trying to get the rest of us moving so she would be on time.

My sister is a very good singer. She can also be a very loud singer. She came up with a song that she would use to convince us we really did want to get up in the morning if only to stop her.

"So wake up and do something more
than dream of your bed so warm.
Sleeping in is a pleasure,
a joy beyond measure.
A lesson in beauty sleep and love."

Having heard almost every school day for at least a year I can never quite seem to sing the hymn correctly.

My sister's singing was contagious and one of the rules that developed from our enthusiasm was that we weren't allowed to sing at the dinner table. I can't even remember why we would sing at the dinner table but that rule was often mentioned and the guilty party would then fall silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment