15 August 2010

*The Yellow Duck

Intro: I wasn't sure what to write so I decided to take an ordinary object, a rubber duck, and turn it into something extraordinary. I hope you enjoy it. This is my first time writing in present tense. Well, that I can remember.

The yellow duck bobs in the water. I sink low. The water barely teases the bottom of my nose as I blow out my mouth. The bubbles from my flapping lips send the duck into another spin. I can never get him to fall over.

“Are you done yet?” My older sister asks.

The water in my bath is room temperature, the cue to get out. Mom never likes it when we take too long. Four children, two parents, a cousin, and a visiting family friend limit bathroom time. I scoop up Mr. Duck, I named him when I was only three, and dry off. With the towel around my waist and the duck in hand, I leave.

I keep the duck with me so my younger sister won’t play with him. She nearly broke him a couple of weeks ago. Made his squeaker blubber. Dad only fixed him because I was in tears. I never cry.

“No self-respecting nine-year-old would cry over a duck.” He murmured. “Would you like a matchbox car? How about some army men?”

I took the repaired duck and left. Mr. Duck has an honored place on my shelf. Dad still grumbles but never does anything. The shelf is high enough that I have to stand on my bed to reach it. If I don’t’ put him up high, he won’t be safe.

Technically, everyone else in the family had ducks. Well, everyone but the little destroying monster who always gets into my stuff and wrecks it. She wasn’t born yet when the packaged arrived on the door step. It had enough ducks for everyone in the family. A typed note lay on top.

“Please use daily. Thank you.”

Everyone in neighborhood received a box and a note. I know because everyone still talks about it. There was no trace of where the boxes came from or why. Some people threw them out immediately. My family brought them in. I immediately took one out and named it. My older sister and brother fingered them and said no thanks. I think sis said it because brother did. She always tries to imitate him.

All the ducks in the city are long gone, except mine. Well, I think Krissy down the street still has one but I don’t really know. Neither of us mentions the ducks because they aren’t cool.

Sometimes men in black suits come into town but they’re always thrown out. They talk about the city being dangerous, or something. Even I know that’s a lie. I sometimes wonder if they left the ducks and that’s why people hate them.

With Mr. Duck safe I go outside. The trees are bare, but everyone hopes the leaves will come back soon. It’s warming up. I don’t know when the leaves are coming back and I don’t care. Doesn’t change my life whether they’re here or not.

Since school’s out, there’s not much to do. Mom and Dad are always working or sleeping. My sisters are always busy in their rooms and even my cousin, who moved in a couple of years ago, rarely leaves the house. Mom says it’s because of the machine. The way she says it makes me laugh. I’ve seen the machine; it’s nothing more than a computer. I use to watch him play but Mom found out and made me stop.

We have a guest staying with us but he only sleeps here. I heard Dad complaining to Mom that we weren’t a hotel and they were either going to get paid or the friend could find another place to live. The friend came, the friend stayed. Dad always looses the argument against Mom. I once asked the friend what he did. He explained something regarding something. It has a long name and I don’t understand. I don’t ask for an explanation. People like him always talk a lot and never make sense.

I wander down the street with my hands in my pockets. There are only a few people on the street. Most of them move slowly about their yards. A few wave. I wave back.

No one answers at Henry’s house. Henry’s my best friend. Well, more of my third best friend but Steve and Charlie are sick. I’m Henry’s fourth best friend so it works out. I like his house. His mother always offers chocolate chip cookies. I don’t know who doesn’t like being here.

I try knocking again and press my face up against the glass. A figure moves slowly to the door.

“Robert.” Henry’s mom says. She coughs a couple of times then adds. “I’m sorry but Henry can’t play today.”

My face falls and I mumble my thanks. I jam my hands in my pockets and kick a few pebbles as I walk back to my house. If Mom and Dad find out Henry’s sick too, they won’t let me go back over. Once my friend’s get sick, I’m banned from their house. That’s the reason school’s out. Too many sick kids. At first it was fun, not having school. Not anymore. Now there’s nothing to do.

I spend the rest of my day in my room. Mr. Duck watches me read a few books and color. Later, as I help set the table for dinner, someone knocks on the door. I reach the door first; no one can keep up with my quick feet. Two men stand on the step, looking down at me.

“Robert?” One of them asks. “You need to come with us.”

I furrow my brow confused. “I need to ask Mom.”

“No.” The man says, grabbing my arm. “There’s no time, the filter won’t help anymore.”

My family only watches through the window, their faces blank. I’m set in the back of the car and Krissy looks at me her eyes red and swollen. We drive out of town. A man pounds in a large sign. Do Not Enter. Radiation.

The first tree we pass is completely covered with leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment