18 September 2013

Flawed

This last weekend was the annual Fall Conference for the League of Utah Writers. I am pleased to say that things worked out well. Now my job really begins. I am really nervous, but I think I have a good start. I just need to keep up the momentum.

I was listening to the soundtrack of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA at work today and it reminded me of some experiences I had in school. When I was in elementary I had some music teachers that I didn't always agree with. One teacher was telling us about the different instruments. When she got to flute she told us that it was part of the brass family. I raised my hand and tried to politely explain that I thought the flute was a woodwind. She said no. I said my older sister played the flute and I was pretty sure it was a woodwind. She changed the subject.

The second experience I remembered was when I was in fifth or sixth grade. We had some guests come to talk about operas. I remember raising my hand and asking about THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. They told me it wasn't an opera because the person who played Christine could never sing the whole range. That whenever they played the songs the highest notes were pre-recorded. They then went on to talk about THE MAGIC FLUTE. I was miffed, but didn't say anything. Now that I am older and look back on the situation I realize their logic was more flawed than I realized. I know THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA isn't an opera, it is a musical. But the reason they gave was stupid. If someone can sing the Queen of Night Aria from THE MAGIC FLUTE, they can sing the part of Christine.

The Queen of Night Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment