02 September 2009

Problems with Age

My husband and I have the same problem but in different forms. People usually think that I am older than I actually am and my husband is thought to be younger than he is. There are days I wonder how people see us as we walk around together.

I have a sister that is eleven years younger than I am. I was really excited when she was born because I was actually old enough to care about what was going on. Since I went to a different elementary than everyone else in my neighborhood I often had days when I was out of school and no one else was. A couple of months after my sister was born, I was helping my mom shop one day, everyone else was in school, and I was holding my little sister so my mom could do what she needed to. The store clerk came up and smiled as he turned to my mother. “You must really enjoy having a granddaughter around.” My mother shook her head and replied. “Actually, they are both my daughters.” The clerk quickly excused himself.

My husband has recently started going to college after a midlife crisis at twenty four. I am cheap and have us ride the bus to work and school since I don’t want to pay for gas or car repairs. We live a couple of blocks from the high school. On my husbands twenty fifth birthday he was calmly waiting for the bus at nine in the morning when a cop pulled up to the stop. He asked why my husband wasn’t in school. My husband told him that he wasn’t in high school but was waiting for the bus to go up to the university. The cop then asked to see my husband’s driver’s license, which after my husband gave to him, he called in to make sure that it wasn’t fake. The cop finally realized that my husband really was as old as he said and handed him back his license.

No comments:

Post a Comment