26 September 2010

*Seasons

Intro: My sister and I always complain about our thick hair during the summer. Most men just don't understand how hot it is to have thick long hair in the heat. We always swore we were going to shave our heads.

I looked in the mirror and ran my fingers through the long red tresses. Dozen of strands laced through my fingers as I pulled them away. Here we go again. After dropping the hair into the waste basket I finished applying my makeup and left the bathroom. I hesitated in my room, hands hovering a scarf. No, today I was going to be optimistic. With my backpack over my shoulder, I ran to catch the bus.

The school is filled with bright colors. Red, golds, oranges and even a few maroons are scattered through the halls. There are already a few people wearing scarves or hats. It wasn't surprising because some people were always more susceptible to the change. I only hope that I can at least make it to the spring formal but no longer. I didn't want to be labeled an evergreen.

“Hey, Breanne.” Kim said, sliding in next to me on the bench. Her usual lunch of peanut butter and honey sandwich looked more appealing than my soggy cafeteria salad. I poked at the limp leaves.

“Wow, you're color turned out nice.” She said.

I glanced up from the pale green forest and took in her honey golden locks. Something I'd always wanted. Red is a family trait. My parents and two brothers all have hair like mine.

“Did you hear that Jefferey has already lost his hair.” Kim tossed her head, her curly hair bouncing lightly. If she weren't my best friend, I'd hate her. “Isn't he your date to the formal?”

“Yes.” I poked my lunch without looking up.

“Lucky.”

I absently touch my hair and give it a small tug, nothing happens. If Kim was already curling her hair, she was ahead of me, again. We spent the rest of lunch talking about the plans for the night. When lunch ended I headed to my math class and had to wait while the person who used the desk in the previous class swept it off. He wore a hat and would continue to until all of it was completely gone and didn't look so awful. As he walked out he nodded in my direction. Kind of cute. I wonder what his name is.

When I got home from school both of my brothers were already parked in front of the television playing one of their games. Lester wore a beanie low on his brows. Great, someone else ahead of me. Mom handed me some cookies and bit down a sigh at seeing her head scarf. She saw it.

“Don't worry, it's not that warm.”

“It reached eighty-five today. If I don't start losing my hair, I'll be nothing but an evergreen.”

“There's nothing wrong with that.”

I roll my eyes. “Right, Mom. I've got to go do my homework”

All of my books spread out on the living room floor. The walls are covered with family pictures. Bored with the math homework I smile at the Christmas family photo, our brown hair neatly done. The picture from last year's summer vacation to the lake with all of our heads covered to protect them from the run. Mom was always trying to get a picture of us with our red hair but we never did change at the same time. While Lester was already starting to lose his hair, Byron's was still mostly brown. He always lost his hair quickly after the change.

I leave all my books where they were and headed to the bathroom. As I ran my hands through my hair I felt something give and a patch smoothly came out. My body was finally starting to accept the changing seasons. Thank goodness. I hate the idea of having heavy hair during the hot summer months. And if I was lucky it would be back just in time for the fall formal. Life was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment