18 December 2011

*Grandfather

Intro: One of my co-workers told a story about how her 90-year-old grandfather was kidnapped from his nursing home. I am glad that it turned out well, but it makes for an interesting story.

James hovered at the entrance rocking back and forth on his heels. No one paid him any mind as they walked across the foyer. He gripped the straps of his backpack and stepped further into the room. The woman at the desk looked up.

“Can I help you?”

“I’m here to visit my grandfather.” He let go of the straps and stuffed his hands in his pocket.

“Is he expecting you?”

James nodded. “I know where his room is, can I just go see him?”

“Of course. Don’t forget, visiting hours end at five.”

He hurried down the hall, looking into the rooms. One man sat alone, staring out the window at the snow drifting down on the already white landscape. The man’s cotton white hair was combed back and remained fixed in place as he turned to look at James.

“Do I know you?”

James gave a nervous laugh. “Grandpa, you don’t remember? It’s Parents Night at the school. I’m here to pick you up.”

Grandfather rubbed his jaw. “Tonight?”

He clenched his hands then forced them open. “Yes. Our ride is coming in five minutes. We’ll be back by eight.”

The old man looked at him for a second and James’s smile faded for a moment. “Grandpa?”

“Help me with my coat, Harold.”

“James. My name is James”

“Your parents gave you the wrong name. Now go get my coat, Harold. It is in the closet.”

When Grandfather had his coat on, James lent his arm and they walked out the side door. The snow still drifted down and they shuffled along the sidewalk. Grandfather looked up and let out a chuckle.

“Makes me dizzy just looking at all of the snow falling down. I remember when I lived on the farm we use to make tracks through the snow to get to the barns.”

James’s heart slowed the longer he listened to the stories of the man’s past. A car pulled up and the window rolled down. Kenneth’s face poked out.

“Is this your grandfather?”

“Of course it is. Let us in out of the snow. I don’t want him to get cold.” James pulled the door open and helped the man in. He hurried around to the other side and jumped in.

Kenneth’s father talked to the grandfather about recent current events. The responses from the old man were humorous and James found himself laughing at the cryptic jokes and funny stories. The five minute drive to the middle school went quickly and when Kenneth’s dad parked the car James’s stomach flipped. He held the door open and took the grandfather’s arm again helping him through the snow.

They shuffled down the hall to the home room classroom. Other students and their parents moved past them. Some stared openly at James and the old man. He flushed and stuffed his hands in his pockets. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up.

“Harold, keep your head up. You should be proud of your heritage.”

In the classroom they sat down and James found himself sitting across from Nick and his suit dressed father.

“Who’s this?” Nick asked.

“I’m Harold’s grandfather.”

“You mean James.”

“You may call him James. But to me he will always be Harold.”

“Are you related to James?” Nick emphasized the last word with a small sneer.

“I’m his grandfather.”

“He doesn’t have a grandfather,” Nick said.

“Think about that statement for a moment and then tell it to me again.”

James looked at the old man and he winked. The teacher came in and the evening commenced. James read his latest story and showed his art projects. Nick and his father talked about the other students but never looked in James’s direction. He didn’t mind. As he talked with his grandfather he forgot for a moment the fact that he wasn’t like the other students.

“Excuse me, but there has been a problem.”

James’s head snapped up as the officer walked into the room. He glanced at the old man and felt all his fears come crashing down.

“What’s wrong?” his teacher asked.

“There has been a kidnapping. We need to return Mr. Johnson to his room.” The orderly moved past the officer and headed towards their table. “Come with me, Mr. Johnson.”

Nick turned. “Kidnapping. You mean you kidnapped an old man so you could have some family? You really are pathetic. Your mom too drugged to come with you tonight? And how about your dad? Or is he still missing?”

James’s face burned and he stared at the table. He hadn’t meant to kidnap everyone but when he got home and saw his mom passed out on the bathroom floor, again, he was too angry to think straight. He walked by the nursing home every day on his way home from school and it had been easy to ask Kenneth for a ride to school. All he had to do was find a willing accomplice to pretend to be family for the evening.

Mr. Johnson, that was his name, spoke. “I am sorry, but I am spending the evening with my grandson. I’ll be back by eight.”

“Mr. Johnson, you don’t have any family. You’re a bachelor.”

James felt another hand on his shoulder and looked up.

“You’re wrong. I do have a family. This is my grandson, James. Now, if you would excuse me we have some catching up to do.”

When the evening ended Kenneth and his dad gave him a ride back to the nursing home. James helped Mr. Johnson back to his room. The officer followed them in.

“I’m sorry about kidnapping you. But thank you for coming with me.”

“Anytime you need a grandfather, let me know.”

“Would you mind if I came by tomorrow? I mean, if you don’t have anything else to do?”

“I would love that. Have a nice evening, James.”

“Call me Harold. I think it suits me better.”

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute! I like how the old man played along. IT's great that he volunteered to be his grandpa if he ever needed one.
    I'm still smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked it. I really had a lot of fun writing this story and I think it turned out pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete