30 December 2011

The Winds of Khalakovo

by Bradley P. Beaulieu

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when I started THE WINDS OF KHALAKOVO. It was recommended to me and though I purchased it this summer it took several months for me to get around to it. I am sorry I waited so long to read it. Bradley P. Beaulieu, paints a beautiful world that I could picture as I read. I am grateful that I had a small knowledge of Russia, thank you older brother who was obsessed with Russia during high school, but it is by no means required to enjoy the book.

THE WINDS OF KHALAKOVO takes place in a society that is similar to that of Russia during the time of Czars. The population live on these small islands and are grouped together and ruled by duchies. The son of one of the dukes, Nikandr, is determined to find a cure to a wasting disease that is killing is sister and is now taking him. Not only is the population of some of the duchies being decimated by this disease but there is a faction of the populace who hold a grudge against the aristocracy. When the high duke is killed, Nikandr has to determine whether it was a freak accident or an assassination.

The characters are vivid, the plot moves along, though I wouldn't necessarily call it breakneck, and the magic system, did I mention the awesome magic using elemental spirits, is unique. I was excited to hear that there will be a sequel but the book ends in such a way that I don't feel like there is anything untold. I am curious to see what else Bradley P. Beaulieu will do with this world. This book isn't for young adults, but I was pleased it wasn't overly graphic in any way. Can I just add that this is one of my favorite covers. It is stunning and really helps solidify the world with airships and mystic creatures that cross between worlds.

This is the cover without the text. Isn't it just a pretty picture. I could see it hanging on my wall. It is pictures like this one that make me want to pick up painting again.The cover art is done by Adam Paquette.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm really glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked the review. I really enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to the next one in a few months.

    ReplyDelete