17 June 2014

The Monuments Men

by Robert M. Edsel

I read this book because I had seen a preview of the movie. The movie looked interesting and when I saw the book on the shelf I thought I would give it a try. The librarian told me that she had really enjoyed it which was another point in its favor.

The book is a historical non-fiction about the events of WWII regarding the art and monuments of Europe in the path of the armies. It follows quite a few characters as they do their darndest to save the art. It is a history with lots of dates and names, but I wasn't bogged down by it. I am not a big reader of histories or biographies, but this one I finished in about a week and a half because I was so fascinated.

What draws me in: Mr. Edsel does his research. I hate reading histories where I can't tell what is factual and what is artistic license. There are excerpts of letters, and documents that he draws from. He read journals and books from the soldiers involved. He did what he could to make sure the book was a true as possible.

Even though the book is filled with history (of all things) it was interesting. I didn't feel like I was slogging through the boring stuff with occasional nuggets of interesting things. I am ashamed to admit I don't know many specifics of WWII. I can name off important people and the various countries, but I really had no idea what happened. It is explained in the book and it was interesting. In order to understand the severity of the situation, Mr. Edsel explains what was going on so we could appreciate the enormity of the Monuments Men situation.

I liked that he gave not only the Allied side of things, but also the Axis side. I didn't know about all the decrees that Hitler had regarding the art. I found it fascinating (as I have mentioned before).

What kicks me out: It is historical. There are lots of people and lots of dates. For some people that might be a turn off. It would have been for me if I hadn't seen the preview and had a direct recommendation. Here is your recommendation. "It is really really good."

Conclusion:
Should you read it?
Yes. If you are a history fan? YES! If you are an art fan? YES!!

Should you buy it? That I leave up to you. I probably will buy it, if only to have a reference to go back to for dates and information about WWII in general, not just about the Monuments Men situation.

1 comment:

  1. Added to my Audible's Wishlist. I would imagine there would be pictures. If so, I'll have to check them out when you get a copy.

    ReplyDelete