20 January 2010

Baseballs and Engagements

Planning for the future is intimidating. I know what I want to happen and I can put all kind of effort into making it happen but a lot does depend on other people, the economy, or even the weather. Thinking about the future that was is rather depressing. Thinking about the future may or may not increase the probability of anything but at least I will enjoy life more.

Enough philosophizing, more stories. (Now I have to think of one. Wow, I can’t think of one, I may have to go back to philosophizing.)

I am very grateful to my in-laws. When my brother in-law turned eighteen he received a baseball and bat for his birthday. We all went out back to pitch and hit the ball back and forth to each other. I was at bat and my brother-in-law was pitching. I am not very good at batting and I missed the pitch. Because I miss the ball sailed towards the basement bathroom window and broke one pane of the double paned window. They didn’t really say anything at the time but now they joke that I am perfect for my husband. He has broken multiple windows. I hope that I don’t break anything else.

I just thought of another story to tell that kind of goes along with the previous story.

I was engaged twice, to my husband. I met my husband right after my second year of college. We were both dating someone at the time but I thought my husband was really sweet. When school started up again we were both single and started to date. He took me to see a movie, which I had already seen before but I wanted to make a good impression. I lied. I told him that I hadn’t seen the movie before.

The movie had some parts that were startling and as we waited for the movie I was trying to decide if I should be a cutesy girl that could cuddle up when I got scared or if I should be tough and not phased by anything. One of the previews was for a scary movie and my husband whispered that he liked scary movies. My choice was made. I was going to be tuff. I was enjoying the movie thoroughly until the first startling scene happened. I was anticipating it and when it happened, I was so startled I flinched and elbowed my husband hard in the chest. I mean I hit him really hard. I guess it ended up alright he put his arm around my shoulders for the rest of the evening.

It was nearly a year later that I actually admitted to having seen the movie before.

No comments:

Post a Comment