13 January 2010

Facebook and Twitter

I just recently deleted my Facebook account. I didn't have much use for it and I decided I didn't want to worry about my personal information on the web. (Slightly ironic I know because I have a blog that I write in every week but I don't use names or have pictures.) More people have asked me in the last two weeks whether I have a Facebook account than during the whole year that I had it. When I tell them that I did but no longer, they ask why I got rid of it. I didn't have a reason to keep it, that is why I got rid of it. I never updated anything and there were times that people would send me messages on my wall instead of emailing me or calling me. I am sorry if people have to work harder to get a hold of me. I just didn't like it and saw no real purpose.

I have a Twitter account. (Note: I got rid of the account last week 3 March) Before you think anything, let me add that I got it because my co-worker wanted more followers for one of our work project thingys on Twitter. Ask me how many times I have tweeted, NONE. (And I'm proud of it.) I haven't done anything with it since I created the account. I refuse to be a TWIT. Don't even ask about Linked In or My Space.

Now I realize I have to be careful what I write in my blog because it is search engineable. (Not a word I know but I thought it looked really cool.) I have been using Google Analytics because I heard it was cool. I found out that someone from Finland searched for the quote I have at the bottom of my bio. Hmm . . . I didn't think about the fact that all of my bad spelling and grammar will now be searchable. I have also learned to fear just doing searches on the internet. With Google Analytics I can see all kinds of information about the people who visit my site. Location, date, time spent on site, how long they stay, what search engine they used, what words they searched. Kind of scary.

I just realized that this blog has the possibility of becoming messy when as people use search engines. So I am going to do something dumb so I won't get people coming to the site unexpectedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment