21 November 2010

*Blame

Intro: I wasn’t sure I was going to write anything this week. I have added responsibilities as of Thursday and some very short deadlines. So it is a little rough. I also had my cat clawing her way around my lap while I was trying to type. Rather distracting. This story is loosely based on an experience I had when I was younger.

“A dark future. An uncertain past.” I read off the case excitement tingeing my voice.

“Well, that’s dumb. How can the past be uncertain? I think they got it backwards.” My friend Peggy said shifting on the chair next to the computer.

My mind raced with all of the explanations into the game but I knew that once Peggy set her mind, there was nothing I could do to change it. “Yeah, I guess it is pretty foolish.”

“So, Jen, why did you want me to come over? You said you had something cool to show me.”

I hastily put the game away and tried to think of another reason to call her over at nine on a Saturday. “I wanted to show you the new movie my mom bought last night.”

The movie was greeted with an “I saw this in the theater months ago. Is that all you have.”

I nodded mutely and followed her to my room where she sat on the bed and read my books. Though we’d only moved in two months ago, I was pleased to already have a friend. School would start in another two weeks and I couldn’t wait.

“Jen, can you come here for a moment?” Mom called from the kitchen. I slid off the bed and walked out while Peggy went through my comic book collection. I stood in the doorway to the kitchen while Mom worked on cookies. It smelled delicious.

“What did you need?”

“How are things going with Peggy today?”

“Fine.” I turned around but Mom kept talking.

“Do you want to know what one of the responsibilities of a parent are?”

“What?” I asked.

“To take blame. If you are ever in an uncomfortable situation you can use your father or myself as an excuse to get out of it.”

I turned back around and looked at her but she still had her back to me. “I’m not sure—”

“Say someone asks you to do something you don’t want to and keep pestering you about it even when you say no. Use us as an excuse.”

I thought of Peggy in the back room and nodded slowly. “I think I understand.”

“But there’s one more catch. You can only do it once. After that you have to stand on your own.”

“Only once.”

“You have to learn eventually to stand up for yourself.” She turned around, holding a scoop full of cookie dough. “I’m sure you’ll do fine.”

“Thanks, Mom” I said and walked back towards my room. My brain was filled with what Mom told me.

“Oh, Jen.” Peggy said when I walked back in. “Could you get me a glass of water?” She rubbed her stomach. “How about you bring some cookies too?”

“We aren’t suppose to eat in our bedrooms.”

“It isn’t food, it’s a snack. Come on, Jen.” She thumbed through a couple more pages of a comic and snorted. “I can’t believe you would actually spend good money on some of these. They are ridiculous.”

“Peggy, you need to leave.” I said as firmly as I could.

“Why? I just got here.”

I paused, my breath catching in my throat. “Mom has more chores for me to do. I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that when I called.”

Peggy dropped the comic on the floor and stood up. “Okay. Let me know when you’re done. “

I walked Peggy to the door and breathed a sigh of relief when I shut it behind her. I went into the kitchen and shuffled my feet.

“So Peggy had to leave?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Since you have nothing else to do, why don’t you help me wash the dishes.”

I hedged for a moment, thinking of my game then walked to the sink and filled it with soapy water.

“Hey, Mom?”

“Yes?”

“Do you think I’ll find other friends when school starts?”

No comments:

Post a Comment