06 February 2011

*Cupid

Intro: This story kind of explains itself. This week was really busy so it is kind of rough. I hope you enjoy it.

"Why is it that you can't do your job right, Bertie?"

I merely shrugged my shoulders, and stared down at my fiery red trousers. I clutched my bow tighter in my hand and felt my face burn as the supervisor leaned over his desk.

"It really isn't that hard."

"I know," I whispered.

He didn't hear me.

"If you can't pick up your quota, I'm afraid we're going to have to let you go. This job isn't that difficult. All you have to do is shot the person who isn't interested in the relationship when the other party involved is around. There are plenty of other candidates available."

"I know. I really do try."

"I have no doubt about that," he replied, a little more gently this time. "But what are we suppose to tell people when the wrong couples get together. People don't pay for a realistic love story, they pay for the perfect love story. The one that beats all odds. That is why we exist. To provide that love story."

"I understand."

"Good, now get out there. We've provided a straightforward one for you. Shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. Don't let me down, Bertie."

I nodded glumly and left his office. A few of my co-workers glanced in my direction, their faces almost sympathetic. Other people seemed to be snickering behind hands but I wasn't sure. I was too focused on my shoes to pay close enough attention.

As I left the building, I almost got my quiver caught in the revolving door, again. Luckily, no one was around to see.

"Stupid revolving doors. Stupid quiver. Stupid job," I murmured as I flew off towards my next assignment. "Who wants to fall in love anyways? Perfect love stories are boring."

I sat in a tree waiting for my mark to show up, thinking. If I lost this job, I would be hard pressed to find another one that would take me. My only talent lay in using a bow and in a world focused on technologies that didn't involve wires, let alone strings and sticks. The leaves in the trees shifted and I imagined they were agreeing with me.

"Betsy, can you hold on a moment?" a voice nearly whined.

I looked down and saw my mark. A middle aged man in a gray suit and orange tie. From this view I could see that his hair was thinning in the back, but nothing to be ashamed about. The woman he pled with stalked on by. Her high heels clipped against the pavement punctuating her irritation. I pulled a red tipped arrow out of my quiver and readied it.

"What do you want, Gerald?"

"Are you busy tomorrow night?"

"As in Valentine's Day?"

There was a pause.

"Yes?" Gerald whispered the answer as a question.

"You're asking me out on a date, on Valentine's Day, puh-lease. Show some decorum."

The woman stalked off, her long black tresses bouncing as she tossed her head. Gerald stumbled after her and I raised my bow. The arrow struck directly between her shoulder blades, visible for only a moment before disappearing.

"Besty, wait," Gerald said again.

She stopped and turned towards him. I gripped my bow, knuckles white. This was it. Nothing could go wrong this time. The only person around was Gerald. They would fall madly in love with each other, get marries, have little babies, and I could keep my job. That was the way this was suppose to go.

"Leave me alone," Betsy snapped. "Can't you take no for an answer?"

I nearly toppled off of the branch and stared open mouthed at her. Once again, something had gone terribly wrong.

"But why won't you date me?"

"Very good question," I muttered.

"Because I'm in love with someone else," Betsy replied running her hands through her hair.

"Who? I've never seen you with anyone else."

"Ew, I would take that as a stalker comment if I weren't in a good mood," she replied.

"But who else is there?"

"Him."

This time I did fall out of the tree. Her finger pointed at me the whole way.

"How am I going to explain this?" I murmured.

She ran over and threw her arms around me.

"Do I want to explain this?" I mused.

"Isn't this just perfect?" she asked kissing me.

"Perfect, indeed," I agreed.

A slow smile spread across my face as I drew her back down for another kiss.

"Why can't a cupid get the girl? Sounds good to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment