09 May 2011

Oxford Comma

Because someone said they wanted me to keep doing writing tips, I have now decided to start posting writing tips on Monday. We'll see how long I can keep this up. I can't guarantee that all of the information I present here will be completely accurate but it is what I have come to notice over 6 years as a technical writer and 3 years as a fiction writer. These topics will cover everything from grammar, style, writing process, editing, and submission.

The last comma in a list before the 'and' is known as an Oxford Comma. Fairly recently the AP Stylebook deemed it appropriate to remove the serial comma at the end of a list. For example: I like to read, write, paint and sing. I am a writer in two ways with two drastically different audiences. I work as a technical writer/reviewer for consumer products and I dabble in writing short stories and novels in my free time. My job at work stays up on the latest "trends" in the writing world. At work I remove all of the serial commas because it is in the AP Stylebook.

I'm really attached to the last comma in the list. I think it adds clarification. Though I leave the Oxford Comma out at for my technical documents at work I put it in for my creative writing. In the long run, having the Oxford Comma there or not is really up to the situation, or to the professional who edits your work. Just make sure you don't put a comma where it isn't suppose to go.

4 comments:

  1. That is helpful to understand the comma. One thing that I thought about it was it is to use it consistently or not to use it. Great information and I think that someone must have been pretty smart to encourage you to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Someone. I am glad that you like the posts. I will continue doing them so long as I have ideas (so by my calendar I'll be done next month.) Please let me know if there is anything in particular you want me to talk about with my limited knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, do a writing tip on the verb to lay/to lie. Just kidding, I don't want to cause a headache! Thanks for the info, this has bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I was able to help. And no, I won't be doing a post on lay/lie. I still don't get it. What really makes me laugh is Microsoft Word will green underline them and have you switch them back and forth continually.

    ReplyDelete