30 May 2011

Began and Started

I read this from another blog and it has stuck with me. The more I read the more I realize how true it is. Be careful when using the words "began" and "started" to describe an action. These two words can add a lot of depth to the situation or it can bog your writing down. To decide if you really need either word, read through the paragraph.

Hanson began to chant. Fireballs flew from his fingers. As he started on the next incantation, a lightning bolt struck him and the spell fizzled out.

The "began" isn't needed but the "started" is. The reason behind this is that the chant was completed without any issue. The second incantation is interrupted; therefore it is good to specify that he started but he never finished. The scene could be changed to:

Hanson chanted. Fireballs flew from his fingers. As he started on the next incantation, a lightning bolt struck him and the spell fizzled out.

Rule of thumb: If the action is interrupted use "began" or "started" but if it isn't get rid of them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this I try not to ever use them but there are times when it is necessary it is good to know when it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also something I use to do, a lot, but trained myself out of it. I still miss some of them though and delete them in the editing process.

    ReplyDelete