19 September 2012

I Can Still See You

Tuesday, the 18th, I attended a class on Excel. I used Excel a lot at work and my training has been limited to Google. While using the Google method I’ve been able to accomplish fancy projects, but I don’t know some of the basics. I am using calculus to solve x + 3 = 7. It works, but isn’t very efficient.

Rant begin . . . I have been to classes like this before. Do the exercises on the computer while the instructor talks. It was fun to see if I could guess how the instructor was going to do the exercises. In these classes there is always a variety of people. I was sad to see the lack of respect that some of the students had towards the instruction. I am tired of cellphones. Do people honestly think they are being sneaky when they look at their phones under the table? I don’t even think it is appropriate to leave the cellphone on the table.

The person next to me left her phone on the table. For the first half of the class it was face down. She didn’t even bother with that for the second half. She complained to me at the second break that she didn’t know what to do because she had read all of her email. She ended up leaving early and I was kind of glad. She was just annoying.

I can relate to feeling bored. I really didn’t need to be there for the portion on inserting images. But, there is a certain amount of respect we need to give the instructor and the other students. When the instructor is helping someone one-on-one I don’t see the problem with people checking their phones or brainstorming blog post ideas. We can all do better at showing more respect when in public. And if I see another cellphone during a movie I may smash it. . . Rant end.

I am glad I went to the class. I learned several tricks that I will probably use on a weekly basis if not more often.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so the rant reminded me of a game I saw on Facebook. The game goes like this. Everyone who is out to eat puts their cell phone on the table in the middle (or off to the side.) The first person to pick up their phone before the bill comes has to pay. If no one touches their phone before the bill comes, everyone pays for themselves.
    What's sad is that people need games like this to behave normally in social situations. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a post on Facebook that said "Dear students, I know when you are looking at your phone. No one looks at their crouch and laughs." -teacher
    It is true and it really makes you think about how you look to other people when it happens to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I am so glad I am not the only one who gets upset by this. You should ask Mom what happened to us recently. I was so peeved.

    ReplyDelete