23 January 2013

New Knitting

This weekend I didn’t do what I should, but I did what I wanted. When I visited my parents a couple of weeks ago, I saw a freshly finished knitting project my mother had done. They were fingerless gloves, and she got the pattern from Jessica Day George’s PRINCESS OF THE SILVER WOODS book. I am a sucker for cute fingerless gloves and when I asked my mother she was fairly confident that I could do it. I have knitted three scarfs, but since I use fancy yarn the scarfs look a lot more difficult than they actually are.

While the glove is a simple 3 knit 2 purl pattern, the truth of the matter is I have avoided knit stitches. I also have never cast on properly. I always made up my own method which seemed to work fairly well for my basic scarfs. I probably started the first glove at least a dozen times. But after working on it all weekend, instead of cleaning like I should, I was able to finish the first glove. I spent Monday night sitting in my husband’s office watching Project Runway and knitting while Moose ran tests. I was so excited to wear them on Tuesday and they keep my hands warm and don’t interfere with my typing. (I think I would be able to play the piano in an ice rink as well, but I don’t think I will ever need to test the theory.)

2 comments:

  1. The first time I knitted something other than dishcloths I made a pair of mittens. Actually, I ended up making three mittens before getting two that worked. I am glad they worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I was actually able to do it was because you showed me a while ago how to knit using double-ended needles. I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. I am excited to show you how they look.

      Delete