20 February 2013

LTUE 2013 Recap

The good, the bad, the ugly. Okay, there wasn’t anything that was actually ugly but as with anything I attend, there are things that aren’t good.

Thursday. It went well. I enjoyed the panels I attended and got to reconnect with some friends. Some of my favorite panels include on one Lloyd Alexander as well as the differences between large publishing houses, small publishing houses, and self-publishing. In fact it was this panel that gave me the idea to post a story on Wattpad.com. I made it home in time to have a wonderful Valentine’s dinner with Moose. He was really sweet and had made reservations. Since there is only one nice restaurant in town it was really busy, but we were seated right away, much to the chagrin of someone who hadn’t made reservations.

Friday. What a busy day. I was on a panel at 10. It was the first panel I had ever been on. I had two goals. 1. To not talk too much. 2. And to make sure to answer the question. (On Saturday I actually had someone tell me they thought I did really well.) I didn’t agree with everything that was said, and I thought we got a little off topic once or twice, but overall, I was pleased with how I presented myself.

After the panel I hurried to the room where I was presenting the research paper with my Dad. We had an entourage. My brothers set up all of the equipment so I had a few minutes to breath. The presentation went well. We had about 20 people there and judging from their reactions, we did it well. (I had someone later that night say that he had enjoyed it.) Now we are trying to come up with what we should do for next year. I really want to keep this going. Every year will get better because hopefully I will be less nervous.

At noon I had an interview with a new group called Utah Book Scene. I was pretty nervous. The lady who interviewed me was really nice and I think the longer it went on, the more I relaxed. Though I can’t say “anonymity” (or spell it for that matter). I was able to talk about the Crimson Pact stories as well as the novel I have coming out with TM Publishing. I will let you all know when it is available.

The rest of the day I went to a variety of panels, one of which was on reviewing books. I am going to implement the information in my own reviews that I do on Friday. Hopefully it will make them more useful. That night there was the mass book signing. I almost stayed within my budget this year. This was the closest I’ve come yet.

Saturday. This day had one of the all-time best panels, and some of my least favorite. Next Monday, the 25th, the Wheel of Time fan film, FLIGHT FROM SHADOW, will premier. I will post the link to the Youtube video when I get it. I got to see the documentary of the making of it, and it looks amazing. They also had some of the costumes there. I wish I could sew like that. Someday maybe I will.

All-in-all, it was successful, but I am glad to have a little break until April when the League of Utah Writers has its annual Spring Workshop. (If any of you are interested in that, let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment