05 June 2013

More than Blood

This week I donated blood. I always try to donate when I get the opportunity. My work has the blood mobile come every two months and this time I passed all of the criteria. As my arm was being prepped I overheard one of the phlebotomists talking to one of my coworkers. He was talking about participating in the annual bike race from Logan to Jackson Hole. He continued on saying that since he and his wife just had children placed with them he wasn’t sure their schedule would work out. My ears pricked.

When there was an opportunity I asked the fellow if he was a Foster Parent. We spent the rest of the time my blood was being collected talking about the training I just completed, his experience, and educating his two coworkers about what being a Foster Parent includes. While this conversation was occurring one of the other phlebotomists told us about how her daughter had adopted three cute children. It made me happy seeing the pictures and listening to them talk with such devotion. It gives me hope that this could work for Moose and myself.

The classes for Foster Care are over, as I mentioned before. I find myself thinking through what we have learned. I still feel overwhelmed, and yet I still feel so strongly that this is the right thing to do. For those of you who are interested, here are a few tidbits regarding Foster Care:

  • The Foster Parents are not allowed to talk about specifics regarding the child’s case. Please don’t ask.
  • You shouldn’t speak negatively about the biological family in front of the child. This is their family and the parents are hopefully trying to get them back.
  • In Utah, a child is in care on average 18 months.
  • It is best to say the child is in Foster Care, not that they are a Foster Child.
  • And Foster Parents don’t want to hear the horror stories you’ve heard. We’ve already heard more than you and they are far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment