12 June 2013

Natural vs. Unnatural Creativity

The other day I heard two people talking. They were discussing how Dr. Seuss must have been on something in order to come up with his stories. I have heard the same thing regarding Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. I remember being told in elementary that ALICE IN WONDERLAND was a jab at the political goings on of the time (now I would know to call it a political satire). And yet, it is book meant to entertain children. I find it interesting that we as a people when we can’t explain how someone came up with an idea have decided that a substance must be involved. I can tell you I have read things by people who have been using at the time, (RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER anyone?) and there is a significant difference between the writing. I don’t know why people would rather believe someone to be high and creative than sober and creative and I don’t know why a lot of children’s authors are accused of this. I have seen a book completely complied by people who were using and it is not Dr. Seuss or ALICE IN WONDERLAND. I wish I could say that every story about an artist using drugs was bogus, but it is nice to think that there are a lot of people out there who are plenty creative by more natural means.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Kubla Khan is by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who also wrote THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER. . . coincidence, I think not.

      Delete