14 June 2013

Without a Summer

by Mary Robinette Kowal

I recently read the third book in Mary Robinette Kowal’s series. WITHOUT A SUMMER takes place a short time after the second book. Vincent and Jane are staying with Jane’s parents while recovering from their ordeal.

What draws me in: I thought the idea of including the change in weather patterns was brilliant. I was trying to remember what I had learn and am pleased to say figured out what was going on, in that regard.

I really liked Melody. I haven’t thought highly of her in the other books because she seems a little flat, but I think that she was wonderfully fleshed out and I really liked her personality and determination.

I liked the court scene. I won’t go into too much detail, but I have always enjoyed court dramas in books, television, and movies. (I am no huge fan of real court cases, ironically, just the fictitious ones. And they don’t even have to end happily for me to enjoy them.)

I was fascinated by learning more about Vincent’s past and more about his family. I wish there was a little more involving his mother and some of his siblings, but I am hoping that there is more to come in the future.

What kicks me out: Jane. She bothered me. A lot. I could see where she was coming from but I was just so fed up with her by the end of the book. I didn't feel like I could cheer for her as much as I could in the other books. I am curious to see what she will be like in the next one.

I wanted more involving glamour. I was fascinated to learn more about the cold mongers, but I wanted Jane and Vincent more involved with theirs.

Conclusion
Should you read it? YES! Especially if you have read the first two. This follows along the same lines. You would probably enjoy it even if you haven’t read the first two, but I don’t think this book gives Jane justice.

Should you buy it? It is on my shelf next to the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment