03 March 2014

No Need for Reading

Moose and I have different opinions on reading. As I mentioned previously, reading is a priority for me. For Moose it was something that he didn't enjoy, until I took away his cable, and gave him books he found interesting.

This week we have been working with Tech on his reading skills. Due to his situation he needs help with school. As we were working one night he threw up his hands in frustration.

Tech: I don't need to learn this.

Me: You don't need to learn to read?

Tech: No I don't.

Me: Yes you do. You can't get a driver's license or a job if you can't read.

Tech: That doesn't matter because I am going to own my own business. I don't need to read.

Moose and I are worried. I am kind of hoping he knows he has to read and that this is just him letting out his frustration. Kind of like how I often say "I hate my hair, I am going to shave my head."

Now all we have to do is get his confidence up. We have motivated him to read because reading is tied to his screen time. He always gets between 8 and 9, if he gets his homework/studying done. If he wants any more time he has to read. Bwahaha. What a maniacal plot we have hatched.

2 comments:

  1. He's living in a house full of readers now. He's doing what he knows, and when he knows better, he'll do better. My son once said the exact same things to me in a moment of frustration. I never let up and explained that quitting was never an option. The longer the bar remains clear, the more he will achieve. I think of you often, and pray for you daily <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success! On Thursday I was reading Tech, THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE. Every day he reads to us and then we read to him. I finished the one chapter I was going to read and he looked up. "Can you read some more?" YES! YES! YES! "Of course I can."

    ReplyDelete