13 June 2010

*Breadcrumbs

Michael's 2nd Story (#10)

Even after two days, the world still hadn't returned to normal. We retreated to Jake's place because it was so well stocked. Since his father is always preparing for the next nuclear attack, there are plenty of supplies laying around. The third night, Ty tried to call a meeting but it wasn't going too well.

“We need to figure out what's going on.”

“Right.” Tyson said, waving a drumstick in the air. “And how do you suggest that?”

There was a pause and Steve tackled Blake and they started a wrestling match. When every saw the twin brother wasn't even paying attention to Ty, they dispersed.

The next morning I was desperate to get out of the house. Though I didn't want any company, I didn't mind Clint, Jake, and Sam as much as I minded the others. And I knew better than to wander off by myself.

Around the beanstalk smaller stalks were growing creating a small forest. We paused at the edge and peered in, confused. There was a small rumbling and snake like vines shot up from the ground and wrapped around our ankles. Pinned in place, we watched as the beanstalk forest grew up and blocked the buildings from view.

Clint pulled free first and then found a sharp-ish rock to cut the rest of us out.

“What do we do now?” I asked, looking around at the nearly identical green plants.

“Find out way out.” Sam said.

“How? By leaving a trail of breadcrumbs?” Clint retorted.

“We could, if someone hadn't eaten all the bread.” Sam replied cheerfully.

Jake waved his hands. “Wait. We came from that direction. As we head out, we'll mark the trunks with arrows.”

“Sounds good.” I said and bent to pick up the rock Clint dropped.

Jake could always keep a level head.

As we headed through the forest, I scratched arrows as best I could in the thick skin of the vines. When My hand cramped from using the rock, Jake took over. It was hard pushing through all of the greenary. When we reached the clearing and saw the house, I turned around and headed back into the trees. The other three were close behind me.

“Hey, guys. Come back.” Ty's voice drifted from behind us.

I reluctantly turned around and saw the rest of our group standing by the house waving.

“Are they nuts?” I asked, disbelieving. “After all we've been through, their standing by a gingerbread house like nothings wrong.”

“Come over here.” Ty called again.

I looked at the other three and we hesitated.

Sam pushed a small strand of hair off her forehead and called out. “I don't want to.”

“Let's go inside.” Ty replied.

Tyson stepped back. “What? You want to go inside?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?” Steve asked, backing away.

“Because that's how the story goes.”

“We don't live in a fairy tale, Ty. We have a real home.” Blake replied. “Let's just go.”

“But we are in a fairy tale.” Ty huffed.

“Just get away from there.” Clint said.

Everyone but Ty edged away from the house. Before they reached us the front door opened and a dark shape walked calmly out of the house.

“Going so soon?” It was not an old crone, in fact I wouldn't mind being seen on her arm. Not at all.

We froze as she stepped near Ty and gently touched his cheek. Tyson murmured something about a wolf and fidgeted with something in the pack he had slung over one shoulder.

Ty turned towards the woman, a goofy smile on his face while he called over his shoulder. “You want to give this up. A world where magic exists.”

“Shut it, Ty. I want my life back. I don't want to live in a fantasy! I want to make my dreams come true. And believe it or not, they don't include magic beings or being royalty.” I exploded.

The woman hissed and grabbed Ty pulling him towards the house. Brad reached into his pack and pulled out an egg shaped object. He raised it up to throw but hesitated.

Even more irritated than ever, I ran forward and grabbed the grenade from Brad's hand. Keeping up my pace, I continued forward and pulled the pin. The woman screeched as I chucked the explosive through the open door and grabbed Ty by the shirt, hauling him away.

As we ran past the others, they followed us into the forest. The explosion knocked us all to our knees. I covered my head as debris rained down. When all the sounds of the explosion stopped I raised my head. The forest was gone. We were laying in the middle of the street and people were staring at us. A car horn honked and we quickly moved to the side.

“Great thinking, Brad, bringing the grenade.” I commented softly.

“Just don't tell my Jake's dad. I don't want to get Jake in trouble.”

“Don't worry, I'm never telling anyone.” I assured him. “This has all been one awful nightmare.”

****

I never thought I would write this chapter but I owe it to everyone. It's been five years and though some of us are doing better than others, Jake managed to bring us all together. He and Sam are finally getting married and this collection of stories is our wedding present to them. It's best not to forget even the troubling parts of our life.(Though it had better not ever happen again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment