20 June 2010

*Envy

Intro: It was odd. I finished the group of stories and drew a blank on what to write for this week. I hope you enjoy it. It wasn't what I was planning on writing.

I was miserable and I was envious. The party was not for people like me.

The punch was watery and a sickly green color. An appropriate color for a Halloween party yet completely unappealing. If the color didn't put anyone off, the skull and crossbones sticker on the side of the bowl should give enough warning. Although I'd ignored it, should have known better. The goblins, ghosts, movie characters, and random storm trooper did not help liven my mood towards anything.

“Maria, have another drink.” Stacy said, holding up the dripping ladle invitingly.

“Of the ghoul's blood, no. Thank you.” I replied tossing the glass into a trashcan, the plastic rubbing against my calloused hands..

“I added too much ice, didn't I?” Stacy said letting the ladle sink back down. “I was too excited, made it too early, and added too much ice.”

I couldn't think fast enough on my feet and settled for an encouraging smile. Stacy's lower lip trembled and she wandered off, apologizing to everyone she met that she ruined the drink. I followed dully after her, not wanting to be a lone wallflower.

It wasn't my intention to come to the party. I don't do costume parties but Stacy insisted and I thought it would be better than watching a movie with my parents which would be interrupted by a incessant string of trick-or-treaters. Half the costumes paraded by the door were really neat, great thought and time was obvious. The other half of the costumes, well, it wasn't worth pausing the movie. The problem was not knowing if the doorbell was signaling a worthwhile reason to answer the door.

“Nice costume, Maria.”

I grunted nondescriptly and kept following Stacy who was headed to the kitchen. While dressing like Wednesday Adams had its advantages, I was tired of the braids, the never ending quotes, and people avoiding me.

In the kitchen Stacy was going through the cupboards looking for something to help add flavor to the punch.

“Not the grape.” I cautioned.

“Why not?” Asked Stacy, Kool-aid clutched in her fingers.

“It may improve the flavor, but green and purple won't make an appealing sight.”

“I shouldn't have added the food coloring.” Stacy sighed, putting the packet away.

“It was a good idea.” I said softly.

“Are you even having fun. I invited you and you're not even enjoying yourself. I'm sorry, Maria. I've ruined your evening.”

“Stacy, please. Let's not worry about the punch and play some games.”

“Are you sure?”

“Sugar isn't good for us anyways,” I reasoned.

Stacy threw her arms around me and with a quick hug, smiled brightly. “Thanks, Maria. You always know what to say.” With a little laugh, Stacy pulled back and headed back out the kitchen. “Come on, Maria. There's a game I want you to play.”

People moved out of our way as Stacy led the way outside. I was hesitant at first but after a little encouragement from Stacy, I made my way over to a small booth. There was a wooden dowel with several strings hanging down. Stacy waved to guy running the game who smiled in return.

“You want to play?”

“Yes.” Stacy replied.

The guy waved three others over and then tied four doughnuts to the string. I tried to keep the disappointment from my face as the three people readied themselves. Stacy looked at them and at the four doughnuts.

“Excuse me.” She said, tapping the guy on the shoulder.

“Yes?”

“There are five of us.”

My face burned as they regarded me. I fidgeted and played with my braids. This was why I didn't want to come. Carnival games were difficult at best.

“Maria?” Stacy said, moving to my side. “You can have the one on the end.”

“It's okay, Stacy. I'll just watch.”

Stacy tugged on my arm, “No. I checked everything when we were setting up. You can do this.”

“Stacy, it's fine. Don't worry about it. I'll watch. Go ahead.” I kept my eyes down but Stacy crouched down so she could look into my eyes.

“Don't you want to?”

With a gentle prod, I moved next to a low hanging doughnut. It was at neck level. I could see the glaze glistening in the sunlight and looked at Stacy hesitantly. She gave me the thumbs up and clapped when the guy running the booth explained the game. First one to each the doughnut, without using their hands, wins.

There was a short count down and from the corner of my eye, I watched the other contestants position themselves. At go, I closed my and took a bite. The doughnut was delicious and as the crowd cheered, I got into the swing of things. As soon as I swallowed, I took the next bite and continued. I only stopped when the empty string brushed against my lips.

“Maria!” Stacy yelled as she threw her arms around me, “You won.”

I turned and looked at the others, still trying to bend far enough down to eat the gooey pastry. One of the contestants stood and wiped his mouth on the back of his hand.

“Nice job, Maria.”

People patted my back and I received a small plastic spider ring as a prize. I slid it on my finger and laughed. As Stacy walked by my side to the next booth, she bubbled.

“I knew you'd win. That's why I wanted you to play.”

Feeling better than I had all evening I chuckled softly, “Someone accused me of cheating. Said it wasn't fair to be on eye level when everyone else had to play limbo.”

“How exciting.” Stacy replied. “Someone is envious of your wheelchair. Did you ever think that was going to happen.”

With my sticky, calloused hands, I pushed myself along and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment