27 July 2011

Harry Potter Memories

This month sees the last of the Harry Potter movies in theaters. (Though it wouldn't surprise me if there was something else that came along to continue the saga in some form or another.) It is hard to believe that when the first book came out I was in elementary. My grandmother gave us the first book for Christmas the year it came out. We all loved it and convinced the other grandparents to bring us the second book from England before it was even available in the states. We were hooked early and telling all of our friends they needed to read it.

When the books came out we would argue over who got to read them first. With four kids (later on it was five) and two adults it was quite a battle. I remember going with my dad one year to buy it the day it came out and never letting it out of my hands. I read (I want to say it was the fourth book) in one day because I knew if I set it down, my two older siblings would magic it away and I would have to finish it after they were done.

When the DEATHLY HOLLOWS came out I was in college and because I wasn't living at home, was at the bottom of the borrowing list. Luckily one of my roommates purchased the book and the other three finished it relatively quickly. I was then able to take my time and savor it. The month it came out, was also the month I was married. The day of my wedding my roommates planned on doing my hair, I just had to make sure I was up at 6:00 showered and dried so they could curl and style it for me. Ever since I was a child, if I had something important the next day, I would often mishear my alarm. This was no different. I woke up at 3:00 thinking it was 6:00, showered and dried my hair. By that time I really was awake enough to see my alarm clock and realize I was a couple hours to early. When the alarm went off at 6:00 I realized that I was too awake to go back to bed a second time. I decided instead to use my time wisely. I read. That morning, as my roommates beautified me, I finished reading DEATHLY HOLLOWS.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I have only read the first one but I have memories of other books and series that kept me reading and wanting more. It is amazing the things that make our lives a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed when talking with avid readers that everyone has at least series of books that drew them in as a child and kept the love of reading alive for them. Harry Potter is only one of the series for me and I hope that I continue to find more like it.

    ReplyDelete