20 February 2014

Relatively Easy

This last week I embarked on a new journey. I am now a mother. I did not wait nine months and do not spend sleepless nights trying to cajole a child into sleep only to wake a few hours later to begin the process again. No. My husband and I are now the parents of a lively12-year-old boy. This boy, Tech, is smart, cheerful, and eager to please. We are excited to have him in our home.

As a new mother, every day I am learning something new about myself. I am learning that I actually clean more now that I have Tech here. I am also learning that I am bothered by things I never thought about.

I first noticed this particular peeve when I started working at the school. Some kids do well in school. Kids like me. For us, it seemed that traditional schooling was designed with us in mind. For others, like my husband, school is the best torture that could be devised to torment their every moment. Working in a first grade class the kids are proud of their accomplishments. They like to share with others their accomplishments. These phrases often include the words “It is easy.” As the year has continued that phrase has increasingly bothered me.

I don’t want this post to be a statement of the obvious (reference the title). But rather I think that this phrase is just as harmful to the person saying it as it is to the people who are hearing it. I have come to understand that just as kids are quick to say “This is easy. I can do that.” They are just as quick, or even quicker to say “This is hard. I can’t do it.”

Maybe you are expecting some remark here about how I have come to help the children work through these difficult times and uplift them. Nope. Maybe in a year or two I will have insight as to how to help children with this. For now, Moose and I sit up at night to devise ways to trick, cajole, plead, and reward Tech into doing what he should be doing. Tech is one that has had few intellectual challenges due to his situation. As I talk to my friends they just nod and welcome me to motherhood.

I just hope as a mother I can teach him that he can do hard things. And eventually I hope that I can do it without the tricks, cajoling, pleading, or additional rewards.

3 comments:

  1. I know I'm one of them nodding, but I'm also very excited for you and always ready to help, even it that just means bringing chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I/you can do hard things." Is something that we have said enough at our house that Kanga (6yo) has told it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome!!! I'm glad I checked your website. I agree with you about school and how it is like a one size fits all. Regrettably as we all know those one size fits all really doesn't fit anyone, for some it's too small and for others it's to big. The encouraging and helping kids gain confidence is one of my biggest struggles that I deal with every day. Trying to help teachers to be more encouraging and positive and less negative. It seems the more a teacher loves their job and is excited about their job the better the kids do. Anyways, I could go on forever about this :) Once again congrats this is the best news I have heard today!!

    ReplyDelete