28 April 2010

Jumping can be Hazardous to Your Health

I’ve had stitches twice in my life (that weren’t because of a surgery). Both times could have been avoided but irresponsible jumping got the better of me.

When I was six(ish), I shared a room with my older sister. Our beds were parallel to one another. This meant the perfect opportunity to jump on and between the beds. I was told on several occasions not to jump on the bed but the enticement was too great. While my parents were distracted by numerous guests who were over for a get together one day, I decided to take the opportunity to indulge in a little bed jumping.


I was able to successfully jump between the two beds several times. It was thrilling. On one particular hearty jump, I went past the intended bed and fell against the closet door. The skinny doorknob connected nicely with the corner of my eyebrow. I don’t remember much but I do remembering seeing a lot of red and thinking it was a volcano. I stumbled to the backyard, probably trailing blood behind me, and found my parents. I was rushed to the hospital and had several stitches. My mother says there was blood between my toes from the ordeal.


When I was eleven I was playing with some friends. We were headed to the basement to play in the unfinished section. (It made for a great prison or cavern.) I headed down the stairs first. The other two chased each other and came charging down after me. Trying to be polite, I jumped the rest of the way down the stairs to get out of their way. Instead of landing on my feet, I found myself sitting at the bottom, my back resting against the stairs. I tipped my head forward, confused, and blood dripped onto my hands. My mother rushed me to the hospital while I giggled in the passenger seat. I got five stitches in the top of my head. (As my brother likes to joke, I have a bald spot. It is closer to the front and is often where my bangs start and not noticeable.)


What apparently happened was I hit the corner of the ceiling when I jumped. I actually dented it with my skull. I believe it’s fixed now but for years the family joked about putting a sign by the dent with my name on it.


The scar on my eyebrow faded for many years but is now prominent again. I’m not sure why it’s more visible but it makes me laugh. When I have children I have a good reason why people shouldn’t jump and the scars to prove it. Remember folks: Make sure to jump responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment