07 April 2010

Tragic Love Stories (Make Me Sick)

I enjoy good romance stories. The guy and girl meet, fall in love, live happily ever after. What I don’t like are stories that forget the last step: When there’s no happily ever after. I cry at the drop of the hat, I used to tease my mother about it. Now there are times I tear up during commercials.


There is a time and a place for the emotional trauma of watching a show and not having the couple get together. Obviously there is a group out there that likes them otherwise they wouldn’t be written. I can’t figure out why some people think that the tragic love story is more powerful. Living with someone has its own challenges and trials. Seeing a couple go through something emotional together and become stronger at the end is a lot more satisfying than watching one of them DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH while the other one pines away in the memory. (I know I am being terribly stereotypical. Shot me. But then you would have another tragic love story.)


Spoiler Alert: In every Final Fantasy game/movie but one, the couple does not get together. Normally one of them dies a horrible death or gets sucked into another dimension or something irreversibly separating. There is one where the couple actually gets to stay together at the end. When it was over, my husband turned to me and asked, “Was that really Final Fantasy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment