11 April 2010

*Running with Axes

Tyson's Story (#3) (I'm not Ty.)

I'm Tyson. Not Ty. Remember that. I hate it when people confuse us.

Two weeks ago I thought Ty and Brad were a little messed up. Who wouldn't think that with their crazy claims. Granted, I like those two as good friends but some of the jokes they've played on me in the past has lowered my belief in what they say.

Since I'm in the track and field at school, afternoons are devoted to training. Hanging out with the guys always comes after. With a big race coming up, the longer the run, the more inadequate I felt. Practices were stretching longer and later into the evening.

While running, I would always let my mind wander and lately it always drifted to the ridiculous claims. Out of breath, I jogged in place and started cooling down. Looking around the city park, I noticed a drinking fountain nestled under one of the trees. The water was cool and refreshing. It soothed my ragged throat and I took another drink before heading back home.

Jogging towards the edge of the park, I shivered as a slight breeze rustled the leaves. My foot caught a root and I stumbled forward, lightly putting a hand down on the ground to keep on my feet. There was a low growl from the trees. It was difficult to tell where it was coming from since it echoed through the trunks all around.

“Are you okay?” a silky voice asked.

I spun around, startled. A young woman, in a very short skirt, was leaning against a tree next to the path. No one that pretty had ever asked me anything.

“I'm fine,” I stammered.

“Where are you headed?”

I tried to lounge against a tree and nearly missed, stumbling backwards. Not so cool. Saying I had to get back for dinner or be grounded would give a bad impression.

“I'm meeting my friends for gaming.”

“Need one more?” She moved closer to me and I could smell the perfume. My rational mind screamed and I moved away, further down the trail.

“Sorry. Got to get going.”

While the larger part of my brain complained about leaving such a gorgeous woman alone in a dark forest, the smaller, louder part was more convincing. I ran down the trail and through the woods. The park took one city block and I knew I'd run further but there was no end in sight. When a small cottage came into view I paused. Bast it all, Ty and Brad were right. This was definitely not normal and something was wrong.

“Help!” The voice came from the cottage and it was frantic. High pitched and hysterical. I took a step toward the cottage and paused. Which fairy tale was I in? I needed to find protection.

I scavenged around the cottage and found something comforting. Ax in hand, I approached the door and kicked it open. The house was dark and consisted of two rooms. When the main room proved to be empty, I ducked into the bedroom. Someone was lying in the bed, covers pulled up, hiding most of the features.

Raising the ax over my head I asked, “Are you suppose to be my grandmother?”

“Why yes dear.”

“Errr. Wrong answer. My grandmothers are both dead.”

I swung the ax down, cutting a chunk out of the bed frame. The person sat upright in bed and I stared at the gorgeous women who I'd seen on the trail.

“I'm little red riding hood? How embarrassing. But at least I know, I win.” As she lunged, teeth bared, I knew it was either me or her. Swinging the ax again with my eyes closed, I felt something tug the ax and throw me back against the wall.

A killer headache pounded behind my eyes as something shook my shoulder. I tried to swing the ax again but my hands were empty. I never intended to hit anyone with it but I rather not be eaten by anything, even by the hot chick. Slowly opening my eyes, I nearly laughed.

“Tyson, you okay?” Brad asked, his eyes wide.

I gave a wry grin, “Best prank yet. How'd you get the hottie to agree?”

No comments:

Post a Comment