04 April 2010

*Death by Pumpkin

Brad's Story (#2)

I lived happily with my family so why was I missing a shoe running away from a pumpkin that was chasing me down the street.

We had all been glad when Ty came back, that we went out to celebrate. There was a new arcade open down the street so we headed out. The banter was light, Sassy Sam saving Ty would be something to laugh about but none of us would forget Ty vanishing in the middle of class. We owed Sam but none of us were ever going to admit it.

I had to wait for the game I wanted to play. The people in front of me weren't so good and I was sure I could go farther on one token than anyone else. With only one token, I had more reasons to succeed on the first try.

“Come on Brad,” Ty said. He'd already blown his three tokens on another game and wouldn't admit but didn't want to be alone. I was impressed he actually touched anything.

Excited, I slid my token into the game and took hold of the joystick. As soon as I touched it, my hands tingled.

Opening my eyes reassured I was no sleeping beauty. It was a large, elaborate room. Music was loud, and couples were dancing. Their movement was enticing, but I am a wall holder. I shifted myself over to the wall and leaned against it. When a girl looked my way I felt self-conscious. Without the others I couldn't handle it. While looking away, I noticed my shoes and clothes had changed. My family could afford everything we needed, as long as it was found on sale, or at a thrift store. No one ever said anything and I didn't stick out in any way.

I shuffled uncomfortably, the clothes were stiff, like they were starched. I hate starch. A spotlight drew my attention to someone coming into the room. A small tiara was perched on her head and I thought I recognized her from the private academy in town. I took one more look around and bolted for the door. Ty's experience and mine were looking similar in the fairy tale line and I was not ready to be involved. Outside there was a large staircase and the stairs were covered with glue. I didn't realize that until I managed to lose the shoe and sock from my right foot.

A thumping noise behind me was getting closer. Anything with enough enough force to shake the ground was not something I wanted to see. I'm a coward and looking at problems in the eye made me catatonic, not heroic. The streets were dark, but a familiar house was up ahead. The door was locked, so I pounded on the door.

“Jake, help!”

When the thump crashed into something, I finally turned around. The giant pumpkin landed on the fence and was stuck on the posts. Tearing my gaze away, I pounded on the door again. It fell open and I stumbled in. Jake's dad held something in each hand and I had never been so grateful to see my friend's crazy father.

“Get down Ty,” he yelled.

Even calling me by the wrong name was okay. I ducked behind him and watched, amazed as he threw two grenades towards the orange mass. That couldn't be legal but I rather face prison than being squashed by pumpkin. There was a great explosion but no mess. When the grenades detonated, everything disappeared, including my fancy clothes. I spent the night at Jake's house, reassured by the patrols his father preformed every hour.

The next day, I braced myself but managed to get the high score on the game with only one token.

No comments:

Post a Comment