29 May 2010

*Green Thumb

Blake's Story (#8)

My name's Blake and, unfortunately, I'm Ty's twin brother. Most of the time we get along great, but lately he's been insufferable. When I was twelve I was glad to learn I wasn't the only person in the world who occasionally wanted to strangle a sibling. Though we are identical, Ty received all of the personable skills.

Since Ty's been reading over my shoulder I changed rooms. If he is going to demand I write this, I am going to do it my way. So first off, HA! Now let me get to the good part.

Ty and I have the same group of friends but there are days people completely forget that I am there. I was tagging along with Jake and Clint at the end of the thundering herd. Clint was still feeling grumpy about being Ophelia. Jake was trying to plan his next date with Samantha, still a touchy subject with the rest of the guys.

We passed by a greenhouse which drew my attention. While Ty was the life of a party in any situation, I could grow anything. I browsed through the planters and some tools. Happily geeky, I looked at the trowels, hoping to find one to replace my old rusty one. When my hand tingled, I dropped the trowel but from listening to everyone's experiences, I knew it was already too late. I was able to make it outside and waved to Clint and Jake.

The world bubbled for a moment and I was standing on what appeared to be a cloud. A large house was in front of me and when I turned, I let out a whoop. With a giant beanstalk behind me, and a giant house in front I knew where I was and it rocked.

I was Jack.

Out of everyone in the group, I managed to be sucked into the fairytale as the hero. This totally kicked butt. Now all I had to do was sneak into the house and steal the golden egg laying bird. A thundering voice halted me in my tracks. It was so loud I swear my eardrums were going to rupture and I lost my footing. Anything that could make that much noise, I didn't want to be near.

Without a backwards glance, I stumbled along the soggy ground to the plant. Plummeting was a fear of mine and being hundreds of feet into the air, brought my worst nightmare into a reality. It took nearly an hour to convince myself to even climb on the beanstalk.

When I finally reached the ground my legs collapsed under me and I sat with my back against the stalk, head between my knees. I hadn't ticked off any giant so I didn't see the need to cut down the stalk. Feeling a little better, I glanced up and started. Clint and Jake were staring at me. There was broken glass and I could see little planters covering the ground.

With shaky legs I stood and looked around. The greenhouse I'd admired earlier was completely destroyed and the beanstalk showed no chance of disappearing like all of the fairy tale consequences had.

A giant beanstalk definitely would complicate city life. But it was so cool looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment