12 December 2010

*Keeping Up

Intro: All three of my jobs since graduation have had some degree of technology. All of them have had days like this. I’m sure most people can sympathize with what this character is going through. It will never cease to amaze me that my phone and computer are practically obsolete as soon as I open the box.

“Here is a good example of a document done wrong.” The voice said from the dark behind me.

I look up at the screen and groan. It’s one of mine. As the voice continues to explain exactly how horrible it is, in the nicest possible way, I shuffle down further in my seat. The meeting lets out and we all wander back down to our cubicles.

“I can’t believe I’ve been screwing up this whole time.” My newest co-worker laments.

The rest of us look at him and sigh. He started three weeks previously and up until five minutes ago he was probably doing everything perfectly.

I slide in front of my desk and look at the cursor blinking at the end of my document. I understood when I took the job that technology moves fast and it is hard to keep up. My brand new phone, purchased a month ago, is now considered outdated by two newer models so why wouldn’t the standards of online documentation be any different. The last document for the set that, up until five minutes ago, was perfectly fine. I wait a moment and sure enough, an email pops up in my inbox.

“Due to the new standards, I need you to re-write these and send them back.”

I grumble under my breath and hastily type out a reply.

“No. Not on your life. I just spent sixteen hours writing all of these. Deal with it. I’ll do it right on the next one.”

I delete it and write another one.

“Of course. Not a problem.”

The clock ticks. I hesitate and finally hit send. The emoticon I get in return rubs my nerves and I change the email to another message so it isn’t visible behind all the windows open. Changing around some of the words doesn’t take me too long but because of the delay, my documents are once again at the bottom of the list to be reviewed before being approved. It will be impossible to reach the deadline of the day after tomorrow. I am tempted to bash my head on my desk but instead begin the process for the next project I’ve been assigned.

Two weeks later we are brought back up to the conference room. The same voice in the dark shadows goes on and on about how our numbers are down from what the bean pushers expected. A brand new document is brought up, not mine thank goodness, and the voice explains exactly what is wrong with it and that it needs to be fixed for these reasons. I watch a co-worker slink down in his chair not looking at anyone.

My hand rises into the air. I didn’t intend to do it.

“Yes?”

“These changes you want us to make—” I pause as every eye in the room shifts to me.

“Yes?”

“Aren’t they exactly opposite of what you told us two weeks ago?”

Absolute silence.

“Due to the research we conducted during this period of time we learned a lot more about our audience,” the voice says.

“So it will change in two weeks?”

More silence.

“The internet a very fluid medium,” the voice finally replies.

“Just had to make sure.” I replied and turn back towards the screen.

The meeting ends and as my co-workers walked by they nod to me with added respect. I go back to my cubicle, a lightness to my step. An email waits in my inbox.

“Due to the new standards, I need you to re-write these and send them back.”

My head hits the desk with a thunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment