15 December 2010

Writing Group

Twice a month I attend a local writing group. I have been going for nearly a year and I thoroughly enjoy it. I would like to think that not only have I made some really good friends, but that my writing has improved. (So long as I proofread which doesn’t always happen with blogs and flash fiction stories.)

The writing group is a good mix of people from various ages to various genres and there are days that I just sit in awe as other members read their ‘rough drafts.’ The first time I had something critiqued I felt like crying when I got home. How on earth did I think I could be an author? My papers had more comments then text. That, thank goodness, has changed. (When I actually prepare and not just grab a random story so I don’t show up empty handed.)

Not only do we meet twice a month but there is a state wide meeting every year which involves a fairly prestigious writing contest. When I entered last year I felt intimidated because I knew members entering from the local chapter. (People who write rough drafts I drool over.) There was no way I could actually place when they were entering. But I am pleased to say I did enter. I didn’t place. But several of my friends did very well. Hooray.

This year’s writing contest is going to be different. I have a plan: write better.

No comments:

Post a Comment