02 September 2011

The Evolution of Thomas Hall

by Kieth Merrill

I borrowed THE EVOLUTION OF THOMAS HALL from my mom because she wanted someone to read it so she could talk about it. Though I was interested in it, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it as much as she did. I am glad I had the opportunity to read this book. It was a great book that really made me think about religion and science and the balance of them.

The story follows the artist Thomas Hall. He is a proclaimed agnostic, because he doesn't believe there is a deity but doesn't feel like he wants to proclaim himself an atheist. When the book starts he is an egotistical braggart who doesn't have any idea how to act as a decent human. He has been commissioned to paint a mural for the evolution display at a science museum and part way through the project the museum director changes as well as the scope of the project. At this time he is also presented with the opportunity to paint a mural for a hospital that is centered on Jesus Christ. Through the book a variety of characters discusses evolution, miracles, and faith.

At the hospital Thomas meets Cass who has more belief in him than he has and put her job on the line to get him as the painter. He also meets Christina a young girl who is a patient at the hospital. She was in a car accident and suffered series burns, broken bones, and yet has faith that everything is going to turn out fine, despite what everyone says. The more time Thomas spends with these two women, the more he learns of himself and what is important in life.

The descriptions of this book are beautiful. I love how Kieth Merrill describes people and scenes through Thomas Hall. He sees people as works of art, describing them with colors and details that make me look at the world in a different light. The development of Thomas is realistic and I enjoyed all of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment