31 August 2011

New Neighbors

My husband and I have lived in our new home for about a month. This is the third place we've lived during our marriage. (I'm not counting our six weeks of living in someone's basement.) We are getting to know our new neighbors. It amazes me that in three weeks we've had three people drop off food of some sort and one lovely lady invite us over for Sunday dinner. My first response to this was this is the difference between country and city living. But it is something else: I need to be a better neighbor especially when we've just moved.

My parents are wonderful examples of what being a good neighbor is all about. My dad is someone who is always talking people and just being a genuinely nice fellow. When my mother sees a need she goes about quietly fixing it and offering support. After more than two decades, that has finally sunk in. When we moved this last time both my husband and I made an effort of going to activities to meet people. We signed up to paint fences. We talk to people we meet. I joined the local choir. We went to an open house to meet the people not caring that we'd never met them before. And now that we have been welcomed into this neighborhood, I hope that my husband and I can make the next group of new neighbors feel welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. I found myself thinking about making cookies or something for my neighbors. I barely see any of them. I hope they continue to treat you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you and Bub do well in your new apartment. Best of luck with the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete