26 October 2011

Choosing Between Two Good Things

This last weekend my husband and I attended an anime convention. It is the only one we go to, since it is the only local one. This is the third year we've been and we decided that we wanted to help volunteer. The experience was great and it turned out to be the best year yet. The panels we made it to were great (I got some great sewing tips and saw some cool videos), our costumes worked out (people actually knew who we were supposed to be), and we met some neat people. We have plans for making next year even better.

While we were helping out, I made mention of the fact that I was a technical writer. One of the fellows was thrilled and explained that I could probably be even more involved, on staff and not just a registration volunteer. As he told me about it, I got really excited. I took his business card with every intention of emailing samples of my technical writing as soon as I could. I mean, what an awesome opportunity.

As we drove home Saturday night I was talking about it with my husband and reality set in. This con happens in October every year. I currently hold another volunteer position which has its big shindig in September, every year. I nearly lost my mind this year trying to get everything done for my current volunteer position if I were to add another one, even bigger, a month later, I really would go crazy. Even though I really want to do both, I realized that I had to make a choice. Since I have already pledged my time, I sent an email explaining the situation as politely as I could. I know I may never get this opportunity again, but I would rather enjoy both experiences than drive myself and my husband insane.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are learning to recognize that. It is something I should be better at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I got it from you. It was a really hard decision. And even a couple of days after I sent the email I just felt like I had made the wrong choice, even though I knew I had made the right one. My emotions have just been so out of wack lately, I am glad I have a husband who can think rationally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to post pictures. I agree with making choices especially the part about in your comment making the wrong one. I think that you have to stick to your initial decision and accept it. You know that you made the right one and if you didn't another opportunity will come up that will be just as good or better. Aren't spouses wonderful to keep us steady during difficult storms :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for good spouses. I know there will be a lot of good opportunities in the future.

    ReplyDelete