13 November 2011

*Every Other Thursday

Intro: This month is NaNoWriMo so I didn't want to spend much time coming up with another story. I am already a day behind on my word count and couldn't justify writing a half day's worth on another story. So you get this story. I came up with the idea late one night of a planet who loses gravity on a regular basis for a specified period of time. I then realized that I didn't want to have a spiteful god who turned off gravity just for the heck of it, there needed to be a reason that gravity didn't exist. I then came up with the idea to have a space settlement with two orbiting moons that when the moons were in perfect alignment they overpowered the gravity generators. Now that my explanation is half the length of my story, I guess I should get back to NaNoWriMo.

Larry hurried to the next building listening to the warning bells. Two minutes until the moons aligned. He hated Thursdays. It didn't matter if it was an on- or off-week. When he got into the building he glanced around noticing the sign over the door. 'Capacity Level at 93%'. All of the stools, bolted to the floor like every other piece of furniture, were already taken and the majority of the wall space as well. He moved over to the wall fumbling with the straps. The countdown started.

"Fifty."

"The buckle's broken," the man next to him said.

"Why didn't you tell me that earlier," Larry said almost snarling the words.

"Thirty."

Larry looked around. One free buckle left but someone was already running towards it. He glanced at the counter 'Capacity at 100%'

"You got to be freaking kidding me!"

"Twenty."

"What are you going to do?" The man asked.

"Hang on for dear life." Larry looped the belt around his arm, the last person to use it must have been a child.

"Ten. Nine. Eight."

He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes.

"Moons in alignment."

His feet rose and soon his arm felt like it was being pulled from his socket. Others around the roomed screamed. Some always did. He felt like screaming but with the blood rushing to his head he worried he would black out. If he did, he would lose his hold on the strap and go sailing up to the ceiling. Going up wasn't the problem, it would be more of a problem when the moons left alignment and the generators once again worked.

Five minutes. His ears ringing and his vision black he fell to the floor. Life aboard the moon had seemed like a good idea. Losing gravity for five minutes every two weeks a small price to pay but this was too close a call for his liking.

"I hate Thursdays."

The man scooted down next to him. "Odd, I find that most people enjoy the experience."

As he turned away, Larry felt a laugh bubble up even as he calculated whether he had enough money to purchase a ticket to another settlement.

2 comments:

  1. You have so many story ideas! It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. There are days that are better than others when coming up with ideas.

    ReplyDelete