02 November 2011

Women in the Movies

I am all for women's rights. I think it is important that women be able to vote and be treated as equals in the workplace. By golly, I like getting a paycheck determined by my ability to work and not my gender but I find some of the feminist movements a little bothersome and how Hollywood feels like they need to put a certain number of women in the movies. For example: I love the Lord of the Rings, I think they did a good job with the movies but I was bothered that they felt like they had to give the women more heroic tasks, not necessarily the ones they had in the books. I liked better how the women were portrayed in the book.

I am sure all of you have heard of a little show called Star Wars. Now what I want all of you to do is think of all of the female characters you can in the original trilogy. This isn't including the games and what not. Here are the female characters by name:
Leia
Aunt Beru
Mon Mothma (Rebel Political Leader)
Oola (Dancer in Jabba's palace)

And yet I have never heard anyone complain about Star Wars not having enough female characters. Leia can hold her own against the guys and still look good in a dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment