11 November 2011

The Giver

by Lois Lowry

I read THE GIVER by Lois Lowry when I was in elementary and it really made me think. It was the first dystopic story I read and though I didn't necessarily finish the book with a happy feeling, it is one that I have reread over the years. This is one of the books that I've read to my husband. When we finished the book he looked at me and said "That's it? That is how the book ends?" I don't recommend this book because of how happy it makes me, but because I still find myself thinking about it.

THE GIVER is about Jonas, an eleven-year-old boy who lives in a utopian society. The people who live there are very happy with their lives and there is little sadness or contention anywhere. Everything and everyone is made to be same. Their careers are chosen for them. At certain ages they receive certain rights, and lose others. Jonas is given the job to be the Receiver of Memories. He retains all of the memories that the government doesn't think the general populace can handle. These memories aren't only negative, but include emotions such as love, joy, even color and music. As the book goes on, it becomes apparent that while the people of the society think that they live in a utopia, it is actually not perfect. The more memories Jonas' receives the more he sees how flawed the society is. He has to decide whether to live in the society pretending that he is alright with everything, or try and find a new way of life.

This was one of the first dystopic novels that was written with young adults in mind. When you read this book you will probably see some similarities between THE GIVER, which came out in 1993, and some of recent books. I mentioned in an earlier review that the book MATCHED by Ally Condie reminded me of this book. There are two other books that form a trilogy of sorts but if you take this book as a single story, it really makes you wonder what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment