23 November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Every year when Thanksgiving comes around I really do get to thinking about what I am thankful for. When other holidays come around I am thankful for more specific things but Thanksgiving gives me a chance to really pause and take a look at my life. There are a lot of reasons to be positive about life but I don't think about it as much as I should. It is a lot easier to focus on the negative things in our life.

When I was in school I often remember filling out the goal sheets. They had short term goals: "What would you like to accomplish in the next month?" and long term goals, "Where do you see yourself in ten years?" I hated those. I mean how was I suppose to know? I had a lot of dreams at the time, depending on how old I was they ranged from owning a pet dragon (would still be cool), to being a rock hound (officially a geologist), to an author (most often and still true).

I look at my life now and though I can't say that I ever wrote down exactly what my life currently is, I am thankful for it. I am happily married with plenty of hobbies and a loving family. Though I have yet to publish a novel, I have written more than I ever actually thought I would be able to accomplish and still find joy in writing. I love where I live and have seen more places than I dreamed of. I have a lot to be thankful for this year and I hope that I can remember that owning a pet dragon isn't everything. I mean, I live with a pooka and she keeps my life entertaining enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment