09 November 2011

Obsessed Fans

I have felt strongly about this for some time, formulating what I will say regarding the topic of obsessed fans. Twilight has received a lot of flack about how obsessed the fans are. And I will say it is kind of scary how attached people are to the fictional characters. But the truth of the matter is obsessed fans come in every genre. (I even have a friend who I would call obsessed about hating obsessed fans. Every chance he gets he brings up how awful Twilight is and questioning why anyone would be willing to spend money on it and how they can't live without it. I find it ironic.)

Twilight isn't the only thing to have fans that are extreme. I am not a fan of watching sports so I really don't understand the riots that happen on occasion and I am not willing to shell out the money for season tickets. I enjoy the Star Wars movies, but I am not going to purchase a Stormtrooper uniform. I don't have any interest in nice car stereos. I am not one who scrapbooks. I don't see a lot of movies in theaters or buy movies. I am not into the latest fashions. I'm not even willing to pay for cable. I do enjoy anime and sewing, so once a year I try and make a costume. Some people would find that odd, but it is how I enjoy spending time with my husband. There are obsessed fans wherever you go and whatever you do. I am just glad that Twilight has spurred more people to start reading. I think anything that gets more people to read is a positive.

2 comments:

  1. So true! If we started making fun of obsessed fan for sports teams, we'd get made fun of. Maybe I need to write a rant about how dumb professional sports are...grumble, grumble, grumble...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always start talking about Dr. Who if you run into sports fanatics. Maybe that will teach them you aren't interested in sports. :)

    ReplyDelete