16 May 2012

Mothers’ Day

I gave my mother the perfect Mothers’ Day gift: Snow White and the seven dwarfs as Pez dispensers. I am a thoughtful daughter, am I not? It elicited the reaction I was expecting, and hoping for. She laughed. And laughed. She told quite a few people at church and even took the present with her when we went and visited my grandparents. They laughed as well. Now for the rest of the story.

When my mom was young, but old enough to know better, she and her siblings gathered their resources and purchased a group gift for Mothers’ Day. They bought my grandmother Snow White and the seven dwarfs candles. Teenagers giving a gift to their mother could be considered sweet, even if the gift is odd. My grandmother did not see this as endearing. My grandmother doesn’t like speculative fiction, including fairy tales. She did not find the gift amusing.

Two years ago, at a family reunion, there was a white elephant game. Moose ended up getting the candles. It was at that point we learned about the Mothers’ Day fiasco. This January, when Moose and I were shopping and saw the Pez dispensers . . . my mother doesn’t like Pez . . . I couldn’t resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment