14 May 2012

Starving Artist

I have dreamed of being an author for years. At this pint I’ve written hundreds of short stories and quite a few novels. It seems that my hard work is paying off with this book deal but there is something I want to point out. I have worked a lot on my writing, but I’ve also worked hard at my professional career, which isn’t creative writing. I don’t believe that starving for your art will make it better; it just makes you more desperate. When I decided I didn’t want to be an elementary school teacher I looked at a variety of majors. I knew I wanted to be an author but I knew that I wouldn’t be able to make the paycheck by majoring in creative writing. I majored in technical writing not because it was writing but because I like document design and there are pretty much always jobs open for technical writers. Be practical. Get a degree that can pay the bills. Think of whatever you major in as an educational opportunity to increase your knowledgebase for your novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment