25 May 2012

The Third

by Abel Keogh

I had no idea what to expect from THE THIRD when I started reading it. All I knew was what I read from the back cover which isn't much. The cover itself actually drew me in. It took me three days to finish and that is only because I have to go to an office every day for eight hours. Abel Keogh presents a situation in such a way that it made me wonder what I would do if I were in the character's shoes.

The story is set in 2065 where births are regulated by the government. From the very beginning it is quite clear that there are significant problems with this society. The two main characters are husband and wife Ransom and Teya Lawe. They have two young boys (which is the limit) but Teya learns she is pregnant with a third child. People are allowed to have three children if they purchase a credit from someone else. This is to keep the population from growing. It is quite obvious, however, that the problem isn't with the number of people but with the attitudes of the people.

There were a couple of the times in the book when I was frustrated with a character. It wasn't because they were poorly written or inconsistent, but that I was angry that they didn't chose or think the way I wanted them too. Abel Keogh does a fantastic job in creating emotion from the first sequence of Ransom on the tram listening to a crying child, to the end. And while I am satisfied with the ending, I would not be depressed if another book came out involving these same characters. I am excited to see what else he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment